Our Team | The Program | Conditions & Treatments | Patient Resources | Referrals & Payments | Locations
The Diabetes LifeCare program provides day and evening classes, individual counseling sessions, monthly support and continuing education groups and special events.
All are designed to help patients better managed their diabetes. Group and individual sessions are offered in Hartford and surrounding towns.
View our physicians that specialize in diabetes treatment.
View our team
What do we cover in our group session?
This unique program is based on the results of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial, a ten-year research study that demonstrated that better control of blood sugar decreased long-term complications. When you choose this program, you receive a lifetime of care to maintain self-management skills. (Click here to download our brochure)
We provide you with:
- Knowledge - by learning everything you need to know about diabetes
- Skills - by learning how to take care of your diabetes
- Support - by learning how to live with diabetes
The ADA-Certified Diabetes LifeCare Education Program includes:
- An American Diabetes Association certified diabetes program offering individual and group sessions - (Diabetes Self Management Education)
- Diabetes in pregnancy classes
- Individualized nutritional counseling & meal planning (Medical Nutrition Therapy)
- Individualized recommendations for patient care and management based on American Diabetes Association Standards of Care
- Individual consultation nurse educators, including supportive follow up visits
- Intensified diabetes education, including insulin administration and management, insulin pump therapy, and more
- A collaborative care model between our program providers and your doctor (including individualized recommendations for your care sent to your primary care provider)
- Medical management aimed at tight glycemic control and complication prevention based on research findings.
- Referrals to behavioral health, financial counseling and social services are available.
- APRN support for Hartford Hospital’s emergency department (ED) triage
- Diabetes Management program for Hartford Hospital employees
Back to Top
Conditions & Treatments
Back to Top
Our Diabetes Self-Management Education Program is based on the results of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial, a ten-year research study that demonstrated that better control of blood sugar decreased long-term implications.
When you choose this program, you receive a lifetime of care to maintain self-management skills.
Publications & Online Resources
The Diabetes Life Care staff at Hartford Hospital has put together a number of excellent publications describing diabetes, at-risk factors, & good maintenance behaviors for those diagnosed with diabetes. Included below is a selection of these publications. Please review them and select those that are appropriate for your situation. (Documents are provided in PDF format.)
- Patient Guide to Diabetes Medications Before Surgery
(English | Spanish)
For the newly-diagnosed patient:
Interactive Assessment Tools:
- Careful management of diabetes is fundamental to good health. To evaluate how well you are managing your diabetes, take the Diabetes Care Assessment:
Diabetes Care Assessment
- Diabetes is a very serious disease that requires evaluation and treatment. To evaluate your risk for diabetes, take the Diabetes Risk Assessment:
Diabetes Risk Assessment
Assessing and Reducing Your Risk:
Back to Top
To refer patients to the Diabetes LifeCare program at Hartford Hospital, please fax a Referral Form to 860.545.3184.
Diabetes Lifecare - Plan of Care
Diabetes Lifecare - Plan of Care (For Pregnant Patients Only)
Diabetes Lifecare Patient Questionnaire
Diabetes Lifecare Prenatal Questionnaire
Back to Top